[systemd-devel] One of my fundamental problems with systemd...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Oct 26 19:05:51 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-10-26 at 21:50 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-10-26 at 18:32 -0700, Kok, Auke-jan H wrote:

> > > And journalctl gave me jack shit trying to figure this out and I really
> > > DON'T need yet another obscure command to dig out errors that should
> > > have been presented in the first place.
>
> > fine, be that way.

> > Please stop using systemd. You're obviously not interested in actually
> > talking on a normal level to developers that can, and may actually
> > want to help you.

Obviously, if I am to maintain an environment based on these
distributions, that is impossible.  Fedora has made it abjectly
impossible to dispose of systemd an to even drop back to upstart at this
point.  That is not an option.

> Excuse me?  I'm a kernel maintainer and a member of the Samba team.  I
> have dedicated almost 2 decades to promoting and developing several
> dozen open source projects I will not enumerate here.

> I'm willing to help but I'm extremely frustrated at this point.  When
> things don't work and I can't drill down to the reason and people give
> me platitudes I get frustrated.

> Would you like access to this container?  If you are on IPv6, I'll give
> you immediate root shell access.  Send me and RSA key and I will send
> you the FQDN and give you sudo access!  Then you can tell me!  IPv4
> would take a little longer.  I've done this VMware and others.  I
> believe in solving problems not making excuses for why it didn't work.

Hmmm...  I'll tell you what.  I'll even set up your very own LXC
container running systemd at my colo facility (I have a rack at an ISP)
so you have lots of bandwidth to play with.  I'll get it up and running
and you can access it and tell me what causes the errors that force me
to go through those manual steps.  I'll provide you with a complete
development and test bed to make this work.  I'll work with you.  All in
my infrastructure and my resources.  All I want is for this to work so I
can move beyond Fedora 15.  How does that sound?  I'm at your disposal.

> > Auke

Regards,
Mike