[systemd-devel] questions about systemd-nspawn

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Tue Feb 5 11:40:14 PST 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:34:19PM -0700, Jake Edge wrote:
> Howdy Lennart and the systemd gang,
>
> Trying to play with systemd-nspawn on a Fedora 18 system using a
> 3.8-rc5 kernel (if it matters) with audit turned off (why is that
> needed? -- i couldn't set the root password without doing so, but am not
> sure what the incompatibility is) ...
Some tools (e.g. su, parts of the PAM stack) try to perform audit
operations (e.g. write to the log) in the container and refuse to work
if the operations fail. This is really a bug in those tools, but
too prevalent to fix atm.

> more or less following the directions in
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdLightweightContainers
> (except --releasever=18 on the yum command line -- maybe that's the
> source of my problems?)
>
> In any case, the:
>
> systemd-nspawn -bD /srv/mycontainer 3
-b mean to boot init in the container, and 3 becomes an arg for the
init binary. Should mean runlevel 3 (or runlevel3.target) in this
case.

> doesn't make sense to me ... what is the '3'?  it doesn't seem to be
> documented on the man page ... beyond that, I got a gazillion:
>
> [FAILED] Failed to start D-Bus System Message Bus.
> See 'systemctl status dbus.service' for details.
>          Starting D-Bus System Message Bus...
Don't know about that.

> messages as output and had to go to another window and kill the
> nspawn ...
>
> any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Zbyszek