[systemd-devel] Scheme: Linux startup process with systemd

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Nov 4 15:44:18 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 12:19:27AM +0100, ScotXW wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/05/2013 12:01 AM, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Most of this is just misleading, plain wrong or backwards. Systemd is
> > not in-between the kernel and applications, especially not for the
> > ones you listed.
>
> Yes it is, during the startup process! Y-axes represents the time, i.e.
> the start of systemd predates the start of the other programs.
>
> > And what's the point of these made-up names usoundd, ubusd? Never
> > heard of them, and they will probably never exist in the future.
>
> Just some consistent naming: [1] ;-)
>
> > In its current state, this looks all too wrong and will probably
> > create more confusion than it will help people to understand things.
>
> Well, I will keep working on it anyway, this is your chance at making it
> correct. Ok, no more unetworkd, usound, etc.

Why do "we" have to do anything here?  You are trying to document
something that has been documented numerous times before, for no valid
reason why it needs to be documented in this manner in the first place.

Please step back and try to describe what your goals are here.  You say
that the extensive systemd documentation somehow is "too much" for you,
why is that?  What is missing that would help you?  What problem are you
trying to solve?

> There are numbers from 1 to 8, any more precise stuff to make this
> correct and useful to the Linux beginner? If someones know, what to
> mention, that someone should be on this list, right?

There is no need for any "Linux beginner" to care about systemd or the
startup process.  If they really do, they aren't a "beginner" anymore...

greg k-h