[systemd-devel] [RFT] DHCPv4 support in networkd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Jan 2 07:41:01 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 02.01.2014 16:29, schrieb Tom Gundersen:> Hei Reindl,

>>> because this explains why i sometimes see firewall logs in
>>> the company network where all severs are blocking private
>>> ranges as spoofed address i would be thankful not starting
>>> the same odd behavior with linux clients
>>>
>>> this is also really funny if it leads calling your ISP
>>> names because it appears that the managed router let public
>>> IP's connect to the fileserver in a non-public range until
>>> you find out that was the public home IP of a employer
>>>
>>> please don't do that - thank you!
>>
>> I'm not sure I fully understand what you are referring to. Did you
>> read the RFC? Could you explain a bit more precisely what setups
>> causes problems under that RFC?
>
> the problems are that if someone comes back with his Apple notebook
> this crap starts to using the old ip-address and triggering all sorts
> of alarms, firewall-rules and so on

Hm, sounds odd. This protocol is precisely meant to avoid that sort of
problem (by detecting whether or not you are connecting to the same
network). I heard that some old Apple devices used a more naive
protocol that would indeed just reuse the old IP... When did you last
experience this? Any clue about what hardware/software version it was
causing the problem?

-t