[systemd-devel] StartTransientService problems

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 08:42:04 PST 2014

I have finally managed to get StartTransientService to run a process for me
but I'm encountering issues:

we start a daemon that calls StartTransientService as required. The daemon
does not run as root, it runs as "onelan". We configure dbus to allow
"onelan" to call all systemd Manager APIs.

I want to set the User, Nice and Type of the service. I get the errors:

DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.PropertyReadOnly: Cannot set
property User, or unknown property.

DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.PropertyReadOnly: Cannot set
property Type, or unknown property.

DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.PropertyReadOnly: Cannot set
property Nice, or unknown property.

What do I need to do to allow these properties to be set?

I also need to set the Environment. I can pass the environment in as a
property but it does not show up the the process created or in
systemctl status for the transient service. I do not see any messages in
the systemd logging.

And lastly what do I have to do to remove the transient service from systemd
after the last process in the service exits? RemainAfterExit=no

Barry