[systemd-devel] Alienware graphics amplifier scancodes

Mario Limonciello mario_limonciello at dell.com
Wed Jun 3 15:43:16 PDT 2015

Hi Greg,

On 05/28/2015 03:30 PM, Greg KH wrote:

>>> Yes you can.
>> Wait, what?  No, you can't.
>>
>> 1) Not everyone has multiple monitors plugged into multiple GPU's.
> True.
>
>> 2) The system ships with a dGPU and supports an xGPU.  If you remove the
>> dGPU from the chassis, all you have is the xGPU.  If you unplug xGPU,
>> there's nothing left..
> And how does other operating systems handle this?  Hint, I don't imagine
> they reboot the box...
>
> greg k-h
Sorry for taking so long to respond to this, I had clarified with HW
marketing the expected experience on Win10 with the graphics amplifier
on this hardware.
Hot dock and undock is NOT supported.  User must reboot for the internal
dGPU to be used after a surprise unplug.  If the cable was replugged
after a surprise unplug there is no expectation that it continues to
function.

If no other GPUs are on the system (such as dGPU not installed) then the
system will need to be turned off and back on.