[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at google.com
Tue Jun 9 12:55:31 PDT 2015

Moving from #88 to this thread:

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> So I think updating the PR (by force-pushing) is really nasty, and we
> shouldn't do it. Instead, please push a new PR, mention that it
> obsoletes the old one. (of course, I wished that github would know a
> concept of PR "obsoletion" natively...)
>
> Also, I think in this case we really should require an issue being
> created for the entire thing that groups the various PRs together. (In
> fact, I am pretty sure we should *enforce* that all PRs have an issue
> attached to them. Maybe with a bot or so that creates issues for all
> PRs that reference no issue).

I don't think it's very practical to require opening multiple pull
requests for the several revisions and requiring that authors do not
use git push -f, particularly since most users of GitHub are already
used to that... Also, requiring an open issue to keep track of the
multiple PRs will probably quickly produce a sea of ids that will be
really hard to keep track of.

I think a more productive advice would be for reviewers to avoid using
line comments for anything that is wanted for posterity and instead
only use them to say "typo" or "comment here" or to point out what
exactly in the code the comment on the main thread is making reference
to. Wouldn't you think that would be preferrable?

Cheers,
Filipe