[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Git development moved to github

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 9 14:39:14 PDT 2015

On Tue, 09.06.15 12:55, Filipe Brandenburger (filbranden at google.com) wrote:

> Moving from #88 to this thread:
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > So I think updating the PR (by force-pushing) is really nasty, and we
> > shouldn't do it. Instead, please push a new PR, mention that it
> > obsoletes the old one. (of course, I wished that github would know a
> > concept of PR "obsoletion" natively...)
> >
> > Also, I think in this case we really should require an issue being
> > created for the entire thing that groups the various PRs together. (In
> > fact, I am pretty sure we should *enforce* that all PRs have an issue
> > attached to them. Maybe with a bot or so that creates issues for all
> > PRs that reference no issue).
>
> I don't think it's very practical to require opening multiple pull
> requests for the several revisions and requiring that authors do not
> use git push -f, particularly since most users of GitHub are already
> used to that... Also, requiring an open issue to keep track of the
> multiple PRs will probably quickly produce a sea of ids that will be
> really hard to keep track of.

Well, the idea would be to consider PRs little more than attachments
to the issues. And the issues would be only thing we'd really care
about and where coneptional discussions would held.

> I think a more productive advice would be for reviewers to avoid using
> line comments for anything that is wanted for posterity and instead
> only use them to say "typo" or "comment here" or to point out what
> exactly in the code the comment on the main thread is making reference
> to. Wouldn't you think that would be preferrable?

As mentioned in the other mail, nope, this is not preferrable: we
*really* want to take benefit of the better review tool set.