[systemd-devel] automount and user

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Nov 18 04:23:43 PST 2015

On Wed, 18.11.15 13:02, Igor Bukanov (igor at mir2.org) wrote:

> On 18 November 2015 at 12:28, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > We don't support that. Invoking user processes from a system context
> > is something we generally avoid.
>
> Could you clarify how this is related to an ability to invoke a user
> process? For example, I can explicitly pass uid=1000,gid=1000 as a
> mount option to fuse.sshfs and that makes the mounted tree owned by
> that user also with systemd mount/automount.

Well, setting mount options is fine, and you can pass anything you
like there.

The problem is with actually invoking processes such as the fuse.sshfs
one as a non-root user. We generally don#t do this unless PAM is in
the mix, so that selinux/keyring/home directory/limits yaddayadda are
in effect. Executing user processes without opening a proper session
from them is not OK at all. This is not only insecure but also a
source of bugs, as these things need access to home directories,
keyrings and whatnot to work correctly.