[systemd-devel] network interface renaming

Steve Abner pheonix.sja at att.net
Sun Nov 29 05:22:42 PST 2015

On 11/24/2015 11:43 AM, Steve Abner wrote:
> On 11/23/2015 10:10 AM, Steven Abner wrote:
>>      systemd-networkd[260]: wlan0           : found matching network
>> '/etc/systemd/network/11-dhcp-wlan0.network', based on potentially
>> unpredictable ifname
>>      I assume its harmless message, but someone went to trouble of
>> issuing warning in code, so I'd like to fix.
> It appears a fix for the message is to alter wpa_supplicant at .service
> to pull in dhclient at .service,
> which both must be Before=network.target. Since both must be in before
> networkd, I settled
> on using Wants=network-pre.target. The "rule" .network gets deleted.
> But that still leaves two issues:
>    destructive transaction (other post) and the naming convention of
> interfaces.
Can remove warnings, use wpa_supplicant@ with dhclient@ and disable
networkd. Will produce
workable, but has side effect:
networkd with complaints takes under a second, dhcp handling interface
takes 7-14 seconds.
Personally I like the milliseconds, so hope networkd destructive warning
is a "FIXME" complaint
and nothing harmful, and its not liking the kernel naming is just a
reminder also.
Sorry to bother list, I guess I found resolution. Mark Closed.