[systemd-devel] Auto-start of a Service in systemd

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:29:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Raghavendra. H. R <raghuhr84 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newbie in Systemd init system and I'm trying to auto boot/start my
> service in systemd. But my service gets only enabled and it never runs
> automatically.
>
> I modifying my unit file to depend on sysinit.target and multi-user.target
> by making use of I used After= this also didnt help.
>
> I would like to do something in my unit file from which systemd starts my
> service automatically after starting it's own system related services.

There is no such thing as "own systemd services". All services are
equal (but some are more equal than others :)

> Can anyone help me regarding this ?
>

> My sample service
> =============
> [Unit]
> Description=Hey Bings
>
> [Service]
> ExecStart="Run an executable"
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target or sysinit.target

sysinit.target is wrong, it should never be used for normal service.
multi-user.target should work as long as it is your default target (or
dependency of default target).

You did run "systemctl enable your.service", did not you? What
"systemctl status your.service" says?