[systemd-devel] WebUSB

Lars Knudsen larsgk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 10:43:24 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 3:23 PM, Simon McVittie <
simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2017 at 10:20:33 +0100, Lars Knudsen wrote:
> > 2. make sure that webusb devices will be somehow accessible to be used
> by a
> > browser running with user permissions (current temp solution listed here:
> > adding user to plugdev, adding 0664 permissions to device: https://
> > developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/03/access-usb-devices-on-the-web
> )
> > (udev/systemd task).
>
> Since I didn't see a response to this: this sounds like a job for uaccess.
> Most things that happened via the plugdev group (on Debian/derivatives)
> 5 or 10 years ago should happen via uaccess now.
>
> TAG+="uaccess" in a udev rule results in an ACL being set so that
> a currently-active logind session on the same seat can read and write
> the device node.

OK thanks!

 - so if we can make a rule that consistently detects USB devices with a
WebUSB interface defined, we should get this in as a standard rule.

Is it possible to give access on an interface level - or would it always
have to be the full device?

br
Lars