[systemd-devel] Disable message "A start job is running for myservice"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Dec 10 13:00:56 UTC 2018

Am 10.12.18 um 13:47 schrieb Paolo Minazzi:
> Dear all,
> I'm studying systemd to write a service that start and is executed
> before a local-fs.target.
> To do my test, I have written a simple service.

> [Unit]
> Description=myservice
> DefaultDependencies=no
>
> [Service]
> Type=oneshot
> ExecStart=/bin/bash -c "echo begin; sleep 20; echo end"
> RemainAfterExit=true
>
> I realize that at boot, after 8 seconds, a message appear :
>
> [ ***          ] A start job is running for myservice ( X sec / Y )
>
> with the counter X that grow up.
> I have not found a way to modify the elapsed time after systemd begin to
> show this message.
> I could have a service that require more that 10 seconds to start (for
> example a mount of a UBI volume) and I would like to not have this message.
> I read about
> TimeoutSec=
> TimeoutStartSec=
> TimeoutStopSec=
> RuntimeMaxSec=
>
> but these parameter cannot modify the behaviour.
> Is there some way to do it?

no and this all sounds like seeking a solution for a non existing
problem! what in the world do you achieve whne your system hangs around
at boot and don't tell you any reason?

"TimeoutStartSec=" controls the limit so that it won't get killed
prematurely and having a system talking to you telling it's not dead is
a good thing, always