[systemd-devel] Antw: Re: /etc/fstab obsolete?

Frank Steiner fsteiner-mail1 at bio.ifi.lmu.de
Wed Aug 28 13:13:53 UTC 2019

Ulrich,

I also wasn't happy when SLES switched to systemd because it meant
that I had to learn a lot of new stuff and forget many of the
knowledge that I head collected over the years for system V.

But before I switched all my SLES/D 11 systems to SLE 12 I ran
a test host for about half a year to learn about systemd as much
as possible before using it in our real environment. I ran into
many problems (even a few bugs in the systemd version in
SLE 12 that SuSE fixed for me) and some of them took me quite a
while to figure out how thinks worked in systemd. I asked a few
questions here on the list and got helpful answers immediately.

And after 3-4 months I felt I had learned everything for running
the things I ran before in system V. And then I could start
enjoying the advantages of systemd like using drop-ins or
systemds auto-mount features or writing my first own generator for
tweaking things the way I like. They really solve a lot of
drawbacks you had to live with in system V.

So I'd really recommend to take the time to play around with
systemd and learn how to use it. Especially in SuSE you will be
able to do everything the way it worked before, even getting
a different output for "status" (that we used in some system V
scripts to get more information than "running" etc.), by tweaking
/sbin/service or writing a little wrapper for it.

Refusing to get used to the new system won't help. In SLE 15 almost
every old reference to system V has been dropped. And you would be
surprised how much advantages you can get from the new features.

cu,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/