[Tango-artists] Intern position filled

Jakub Steiner jimmac at novell.com
Mon Apr 17 02:56:52 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 04:07 -0400, Matt Chaput wrote:
> Just wanted to let the list know we (Side Effects Software Inc.)
> found someone for the internship from one of the local design
> schools... presumably someone who still lives with their parents ;)
>
> As an aside, I thought I'd share an idea I had...
>
> My original bizarre idea, after I realized I'd never have the time to
> do the icons myself, but before we managed to get the money
> authorized for an intern, was that I would make an offer to the
> entire icon designing community to pay $10 cash money for each icon
> off a list (out of my own pocket -- that's how desperate I was).
> Anybody could choose to do any icon and if it was good enough, I'd
> send them $10 (CDN, but it's almost like real money) and it would be
> released under the same CCL as Tango.
>
> It's probably crazy, and it would probably drive a corporate
> accountant mad. But I wonder if it could work. There are enough
> people out there doing icons and giving them away. Not all of them of
> equal talent, but... I wonder if the talented ones would say to
> themselves "Self, I was going to do an icon of a duck for nothing,
> but if I do an icon of a film camera I get $10 (or $8, or 5
> pounds...) and I can at least supersize my fries tonight!"
>
> It's sort of a micro-multi-Summer-Of-Icons.
>
> Oh well, the great experiment will have to wait...

Hi.
First of all I'm happy to see that position taken. And as for the
bounties idea, I don't think it's bad at all. It actually has a very
good effect - people going for such a bounty will likely do the low
hanging fuit - "easy" stuff that shares elements from other icons.
Full-time artists can then focus on the technically more difficult ones.

The trouble with small amounts like this is that it's quite expensive
internationally. I still have a few US cheques that would have cost
about three times the amount to cash. Paypal doesn't allow payments to
all countries, but perhaps there is another way?

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at novell.com>