[Tango-artists] suspend to disk and suspend to ram icons

Jakub Steiner jimmac at novell.com
Wed Apr 26 05:26:07 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 12:24 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Jakub has done me some great suspend to disk (hibernate) and suspend to
> ram (suspend) icons for gnome-power-manager, which are great. (Which
> I've attached)

Hi Richard,
the reason I created these icons for PM was simply because I don't think
you'd listen if I told you to remove those icons completely and it's
better to have nice looking icons that make little sense than ugly
ones ;). But I don't think these are very good metaphors, nor that a
good metaphor for these actions actually exist.

Nice shiny artwork to compensate for poor UI is not a good thing to do.
For example I think presenting a dialog with 6 buttons for reboot,
shutdown, hibernate, sleep, lock screen and switch user is a terrible
interface and trying to come up with nice icons for those actions is
like patching your sails while the boat is sinking.

"If you cannot come up with an obviously recognisable metaphor, the
action probably doesn't deserve an icon." -- Steven Garrity
--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at novell.com>