[Tango-artists] Icon requests

Jakub Steiner jimmac at ximian.com
Thu Jul 13 07:59:28 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 22:55 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> > Cool! It looks as though the main category icons on the home page have
> > suffered some re-sizing damage.
>
> Indeed, I used their svg version, selected them carefully, resized them,
> unsharpen masked them and finally re-saved them because of 3 reasons:
> - I wanted the main icon item to use as much as possible of the 32x32 size
> so it stands out better in the front page. The current main items in a tango
> icon usually are 31x31 or 30x31, even if the overall image size is 32x32.
> - I had to remove transparency and make the bg white so IE works better.
> - I wanted them to be a tiny bit sharper... ;)

Hi Eugenia,
instead of using unsharp mask, you'd be better off scaling the icons
keeping the stroke unaffected by the transformation (keeping it 1px) and
making sure the key horizontal and vertical lines align with the grid.
The strong unsharp mask makes it look like most of my ximian t-shirts --
somewhat whashed out.

As for the audio-tools icons, the audacity icons choice isn't very good
as it's supposed to be a specific project logo, not a generic icon. If
you're not happy with the audio-card icon, maybe audio-input-microphone,
multimedia-player or audio-x-generic would do?

> Please let me know if anyone has time to design the 2-3 icons requested
> earlier. I can't offer more than some free adspace for your product/project
> I am afraid...

I believe somebody mentioned making an icon for a science category on
the #tango channel. Andreas, was it you?

And last but not least, the tango icons are distributed under the
Creative Commons Share-Alike license, please provide appropriate
attribution by linking to the project website in the footer.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at ximian.com>