[Tango-artists] display perspective suggestion, shadows.

Jakub Steiner jimmac at ximian.com
Mon Jul 17 03:40:05 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 18:27 +0400, Sacrat wrote:
> Tango has lots of icons featuring displays (video-display, etc...).
> Unfortunately doe to a presence of perspective on small resolutions
> they're not "crystal clear".
> My suggestion: straighten displays for non-svg versions so they have
> pisel-clear borders. Now 16x16 ok (just no room for manipulations) but
> 22 and 32 version sizes are slightly  rough. Especially 22x22 bitmap as
> non-straight lines at that resolution often look awful.
> What do you think? I'm not an Inkscape user but if needful could make a
> fix in other editors.
>
> P.S.: could anyone explain me the "add shadow" policy? Most icons have
> them while some (preferences-desktop-peripherals, input-mouse, etc...)
> don't. Besides, making shadows every time anew is a kind of perversion I
> suppose.
> So, two suggestions:
> 1. either document shadow creation in a guide
> 2. or just make PNG templates anyone can use so there're no "alien" shadows

Howdy.

We haven't been verbose about shadows in the spec yet, mainly due to
technical barriers in the free software toolset. We're still using
'hacks' around the limitations we have.

The icons that don't have a shadow right now would have the simple
dropshadow using gaussian blur effect if it was easily achievable. We
also used this fairly stylized round shadow for all the icons and are in
process of getting rid of that.

My take on this is that all icons except for the 16x16 should cast a
shadow depending on their perspective and surface placement. But you are
absolutely right, that part of the guidelines should be written
eventually.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at ximian.com>