[Tango-artists] Icons for inclusion

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Tue Mar 13 08:01:25 PDT 2007

See, I think that's the important distinction -- the toolbox is from the
"tool" element of the construction metaphor, not the danger/safety element.
Everybody at the construction site wears boots, too, but the image of a boot
doesn't communicate what you want.

As far as the hammer itself goes, sure not everyone uses one all the time,
but then again I'm looking at the Edgy Applications menu right now and the
"graphics" category is represented by a paintbrush, the "sound and video"
category by a director's clapboard, and the office category by a pen cup.
Does every artist carry a paintbrush?  Do *any* of the "sound* apps
incorporate anything analogous to the director's clapboard?  Do we all have
pen cups in out offices -- and if so, are they what we do our office work
with?  It's not necessary that the tool used in a category icon be
universally required for all the tasks in that category -- and a good thing,
too, since that would be impossible.  What it does have to do is communicate
and be visually recognizable.  My point was that the hard hat does neither
of those things.

I personally don't think that hammers or toolboxes intrinsically relate to
programming at all; we may have gotten used to seeing the construction site
metaphor associated with programming tools, but it's only because of
repetition.  I'd like to see some better metaphor altogether; it's a task
without a physical-world equivalent, but who knows how much we could come up
with if we actually pounded at it intentionally.  But I do think that of the
construction items we've brought up thus far, at least (claw) hammers have a
distinctive visual outline, and that's an improvement.

Nate

--
nathan.p.willis
nwillis at glyphography.com