[Tango-artists] VMware-related Tango questions

Christian Hammond chipx86 at chipx86.com
Tue Mar 27 16:20:50 PDT 2007

On 3/27/07, Jakub Steiner <jimmac at novell.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 13:48 -0700, Christian Hammond wrote:
> > Having a generic "USB" icon is quite useful actually. While it's all
> > well and good to have an icon for every type of USB device, you would
> > want a fallback I would think, and sometimes you want to reference the
> > concept of a USB device rather than specific USB devices. For us, it's
> > a definite necessity, as we're indicating "USB support" rather than
> > any one specific device. The icon is saying "You have support for USB
> > for this virtual machine."
>
> Hi again.
>
> It's going to be hard to do without being able to use the logo. Maybe
> just having the typical plug/connector will do. The big question remains
> the context/name. Unidentified-device-usb? io-usb? connector-usb?
> bus-usb? controller-usb? Rodney, help! :) For the generic memory -
> memory? memory-ram?

Hope we come up with a name soon. We're about to hit our final code freeze
and won't be able to change the icon name we're referring to until the next
release.

Regarding the USB "trident" image, it appears that it's safe to use. They do
require licensing for the "USB Certified" logos, but mention nothing of the
Trident. I also found this thread, which is interesting as it contains a
response from the USB administration regarding this:

http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=48576&page=1#post708289

Wrt the favorites icon, I don't think it's implied that an emblem cannot
> be used on its own and is only overlaid on top of another item.
> Duplicating the very same icon is not a good idea. I see it perfectly
> appropriate to use it the way you do in the interface.

Okay. Still feels weird to me, but I suppose it's fine. There aren't any
themes that define a 16x16 emblem-* icon to be, say, a 6x6 icon padded to
16x16 for embleming on a 16x16 icon, is there? :)

So once we figure out the naming, we're in good shape from our end, and then
we'll just ship fallbacks under those names until Tango has icons bundled.
While on the subject of naming, though, do we have names for serial
devices/serial ports or something that would represent a "generic SCSI"
device? Or a CPU icon? I should have mentioned these earlier, but these are
the other three devices we care about.

Thanks,

Christian

Christian Hammond - chipx86 at chipx86.com