[Telepathy] Spec changes: tube API

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 08:40:01 PDT 2007

Ar 25/07/2007 am 09:55, ysgrifennodd Simon McVittie:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 at 10:24:56 +0200, Guillaume Desmottes wrote:
> > All these comments are fixed in
> > http://projects.collabora.co.uk/~monkey/spec-stream-tubes-smcv/
> >
> > Rob, did you finish your review of this ?
> > Any other comment/suggestion ?
>
> In a text message Rob sent me at Guadec, he wrote:
> > Feel free to merge stream tubes, but split ip4 and 6 I think.
>
> If I remember correctly, Rob's suggestion was to have the address types be
> as follows:
>
> Tube_Address_Type_Unix: 'ay' containing filename
>
> Tube_Address_Type_Abstract_Unix: 'ay' containing the sun_path member of
> struct sockaddr_un, which is an array of char of length <= UNIX_PATH_MAX
> (FIXME: do we include the leading NUL or not? I'd be inclined to include it)

I think the leading null is an artefact of the sockets interface rather than
something inherent and therefore should not be copied to our interface where
we don't have any compatibility/misc concerns.

> Tube_Address_Type_IPv4: a struct '(ayq)' where the ay has length 4
>
> Tube_Address_Type_IPv6: a struct '(ayq)' where the ay has length 16

This is moving a burden from the CM to the client. I'm not saying that's good
or bad, just saying that we should judge this depending on whether we think
that moving that burden is justified or not.

--
Dafydd