[Telepathy] empathy busy/away status icons color

Alex Launi alex.launi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 04:29:00 PDT 2009

I have to agree that the empathy 'away' icon feels much more negative than
the busy icon. It's definitely worse to send someone a message when they're
busy than when they're away. I think we also need a do not disturb status
that is neither busy nor away. The way I see it there are four main states a
computer user is in:

   - Available - general computer use, not doing anything important and
   would probably like to chat
   - Busy - doing some work, but if a close friend wants to talk or someone
   has something important to say they should instant message, but should not
   expect an immediate reply or possibly no reply.
   - Away - literally not here. will probably be back in a little bit, and
   can reply if a message is left
   - Do not disturb - I'm working. Really, don't bother me. I'm only on
   empathy in case I need to contact someone, not to be contacted. This may or
   may not be analogous to an invisible mode. I tend to think they're
   different, but this is a gut feeling and not a conclusion that I'm
   passionate about one way or the other.

The point is that with our current icons, if someone is away the red
triangle feels like it's discouraging one from sending a message. I don't
think that this is the point of the away state, and is more suited for the
busy state where one should really think twice before sending.

--
--Alex Launi