[Telepathy] Telepathy Folks progress..

Frederik Nnaji frederik.nnaji at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 18:33:26 PDT 2010

Hello Travis,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 18:16, Travis Reitter <
travis.reitter at collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> Really, EDS isn't ideal, but it's gotten a lot better in the last year
> or two, and the people working on it now seem to have a good idea of
> what needs to be done to improve it.

i see, well EDS improvements might help on a legacy tip..

>  > What's the issue with using plain files from your point of view (if
> > there is any)?
>
> You could do that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a lot slower than
> e-d-s. Eg, if you've got 300 contacts, and you want to search, you'll
> have to open 300 files, read them, marshal them into your in-memory
> structure, then start the actual search.

for 2000 files with 1kB each that would be 2MB, yes, i can see that being an
annoyance on slow machines.. I see your point here, too.

> I think a database really makes sense in the context of contacts.
> They're really optimized for retrieving and slicing data, which address
> books spend a lot of their time doing.

exactly. Maybe Tracker can do this for you?
It's fresher and looks like a useful candidate to me..