[Telepathy] Investigating QML + Telepathy

Alvaro Soliverez alvaro.soliverez at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 07:52:41 PDT 2011

On Thursday 28 July 2011 11:31:56 Bilhanan Silverajan wrote:
> Many thanks for this piece of information. I'm looking at the code, and
> there appears to be TelepathyQML component. Is this part of a
> meego-specific release somewhere?

It's all part of the application code. This app will go into Meego Tablet.

I think what you are looking for is on the folder plugin and telepathy-qml-
lib/

The first one create and loads models to be used by QML.

The second one, particularly telepathymanager, has the communication with the
base tp-qt4 classes.

> I'm using Ubuntu desktop as my primary development platform. Which would
> be better, do you think: TelepathyQML as a "native" QML library, or
> building something with TelepathyQt4 first with a QML wrapper?

There's no such thing as TelepathyQML.

My advice is that you do most of the complex code on C++ classes, and you use
QML for the UI part. You'll have enough complexity on both sides, and QML has
limitations to deal with the kind of complex calls required by Telepathy.

For another example, you can take a look at KDE Telepathy, which has QML UI
too. In any case, you'll still have a great amount of C++ code to write.

Regards,
Alvaro