[Telepathy] exposing dialog interfaces to empathy from the protocol end

Danielle Madeley danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 15:07:10 PDT 2011

Hi Shannon,

Unfortunately you can't just pass the dialogs through as UI, it breaks a
whole bunch of things about Telepathy.

Telepathy components such as haze and Empathy communicate over D-Bus via
an API documented in the Telepathy spec:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/ -- telepathy-glib is just a layer
on top of this to take the hard work out of it.

Part of the motivation for Telepathy was to not have the UI-specific
code appearing in our API, the way it does in libpurple. This means it's
not trivial to expose all of the features in libpurple via
telepathy-haze.

If you wish to expose more features, you need to determine the semantic
meaning of requests from libpurple and expose them to Telepathy that
way. It's possible that Telepathy doesn't have API for all types of
requests currently, but that can be requested.

Hope this clears some things up.

--danni

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 16:39 +0200, Shannon Black wrote:

> I'm working on patching up telepathy-haze to make use of the
> libpurple's purple_request_* methods. This will provide a fix for the
> purple protocols, the one I'm particularly trying to fix is the MXiT
> protocol. My issue is that I need to expose the requests to libempathy
> in the form of HazeDialogRequest / EmpathyDialog. i.e I need to be
> able to send through telepathy-glib data relating to it namely,
> "dialog name", "fields", and the fields can be broken into types of
> fields, namely "image", "label", "editbox", "dropdown", "numbox" with
> a "yes / no" "accept / reject" "Ok / Cancel" button.
>
> If you need me to programme up the HazeDialogRequest struct i'll do such.
> But what I need is for someone to either point me to a tutorial or to
> extend the telepathy-glib ABI to allow me to pass through such a
> struct as well as a method to emit and also assign callbacks to a
> "telepathy-dialog-request"
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards
> Shannon

Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk