[Telepathy] SIP - Can't make outgoing calls

Spikey360 spikey360 at yandex.ru
Tue Nov 26 18:37:17 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 21:50 +0100, Rubén Torrero Marijnissen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been having trouble setting up my SIP account with voipcheap.com
> (another Betamax SIP provider) with empathy. It seems i'm able to
> register correctly, but almost always will fail when trying to make an
> outgoing call. I will just hear a short repeating tone for about 1
> minute, before the call ends.
>
> I say "almost always", because every once in a while I get it working
> and I'm able to talk perfectly.
>
> This is the log I get after a failed call attempt (got this from
> Telepathy Debugging menu, inside Empathy, filtered messages for
> sofiasip): http://pastebin.com/FMR3CDTT
>
> Any idea what might be happening?
>
> Thanks!

Ditto. I am having the same problem since I upgraded to Fedora 18 from
16. Now I am in Fedora 19 and using the default (upgraded) Empathy but
unable to make outgoing SIP calls.
The only thing different for me is that I have never been able to make
an outgoing SIP call, can't receive them either. (Calls ring and give
out repeated tones when picked up, which I ultimately disconnect after
sometime).
My log is very similar to the log pasted by you.
I tried to find out if this had anything to do with Ekiga (my SIP
account host). I downloaded Ekiga VoIP and it ran alright, and I was
able to make and receive SIP calls just fine. So this is a problem with
Empathy. Maybe I'm missing something, something I haven't configured or
misconfigured maybe?
NB: The SIP account settings of Empathy remained the same through all
the upgrades. I was able to use Ekiga just fine when I was on Fedora 16.

Any help would be appreciated!

Spikey360