[Telepathy] TelepathyQt in GSoC 2016, ABI issues

Alexandr Akulich akulichalexander at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 08:36:31 UTC 2016

Hi Daniel,

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> wrote:
> - if the ABI is changing on each release, should TelepathyQt libs use an
> SONAME such as libtelepathy-qt4-0.9.6.so.0 ?  Currently it is
> libtelepathy-qt4.so.2 - that was used for both 0.9.4 and 0.9.6 but I'm
> not sure if they are ABI compatible?
They're compatible, because there is no any client-side API changes
for a long time.

> - the libtelepathy-qt?-service.so needs to be in the packages as a
> shared object.  The concerns about the stability of this API/ABI can
> probably be addressed by the SONAME proposal above.
I agreed and made the change months ago and just pushed it to the fd.o
repo. See [1] and [2].

[1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/telepathy/telepathy-qt/commit/?id=5eedded
[2] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/telepathy/telepathy-qt/commit/?id=2ff93cd