[Uim] uim-helper-applet: what does the 'R' button/menu do?

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Thu Aug 19 19:39:27 EEST 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:54:18 +0800
James Su <suzhe at tsinghua.org.cn> wrote:

>   Do you have plan to fix this issue?

Yes, we have. But I couldn't reproduce the bug, I need more infomation.

gabor, could you tell us about your environment? We need:
- Version of uim
- What application you use? E.G. gedit, emacs...
- What bridge you use? E.G. gtk immodule, xim, qt immodule...

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:58:54 -0400
Matthew Tippett <matthew.tippett at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> The Romaji mode is double width (like the first two).  Half-width
> katakana fits in the same space as an individual character.  My
> investigations indicate that it is much more than just 'double
> space' english.  If I do 'vi' in this mode, it cannot find vi.  My
> assumption is that the ROMAJI characters are not in the standard
> ASCII character set, and so are interpreted differently.

FYI: The definition of romaji is a way to describe hiragana or katakana
strings with using alphabet only. E.G. 'a' as romaji describes 'あ' in
hiragana, 'ka' as romaji describes 'か' in hiragana. But Japanese
sometimes use "romaji" instead of "alphabet". (It's wrong if we  follow
through the definition, but it's common.) In this context, you can use
alphabet insted of romaji.

And, a Japanese character set has two types of alphabets, one is half
width and another is full width. Half width alphabets are just same as
ASCII alphabets, and full width alphabets are defined in JIS (JIS means
Japan Industrial Standard.), they are distinguished. So your assumption
is almost right, full width romaji characters are not in the standard
ASCII character set.

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki