[Uim] uim-helper-applet: what does the 'R' button/menu do?

gabor gabor at z10n.net
Thu Aug 19 21:59:22 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 01:39 +0900, TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 01:54:18 +0800
> James Su <suzhe at tsinghua.org.cn> wrote:
>
> >   Do you have plan to fix this issue?
>
> Yes, we have. But I couldn't reproduce the bug, I need more infomation.
>
> gabor, could you tell us about your environment?
gentoo linux

>  We need:
> - Version of uim
uim-0.4.2

> - What application you use? E.G. gedit, emacs...
gedit-2.7.90

> - What bridge you use? E.G. gtk immodule, xim, qt immodule...
uim-anthy... i think that means the gtk2 immodule

so i summarize the bug one more time:

i have to add the uim-helper-toolbar-gtk-systray to do it.
on the systray applet there are 2 buttons: 'a' and 'R'.
if i click on 'R' i get 2 possibilities:
-ローマ字
and
-かな

(it is not indicated, but i think by default it is in the ローマ字 mode)

if i select ローマ字 no problem happens.

but:
if i select かな, the following problems appear:
1. if i write 'shi', i get 'sし', so i have to write 'si' to get 'し’ .
(normally both si and shi work)..
i tried it, and it behaves the following way:
a.  i press 's'. 's' is displayed
b. now i press 'h'.  now 'ssh' is displayed. somehow pressing 'h' added
'sh' to the text.
c. now i press 'i'. i get 'sshi', which is immediately translated to 's
し'.

2. if i enter some kana, and start to delete it with backspace, i need
to press backspace TWICE to delete one kana.

-and i cannot go back to ローマ字 mode. if i select ローマ字 again, nothing
happens.
i have to close gedit, and open a new one to get back the original
mode.
> FYI: The definition of romaji is a way to describe hiragana or katakana
> strings with using alphabet only. E.G. 'a' as romaji describes 'あ' in
> hiragana, 'ka' as romaji describes 'か' in hiragana. But Japanese
> sometimes use "romaji" instead of "alphabet". (It's wrong if we  follow
> through the definition, but it's common.) In this context, you can use
> alphabet insted of romaji.
>
> And, a Japanese character set has two types of alphabets, one is half
> width and another is full width. Half width alphabets are just same as
> ASCII alphabets, and full width alphabets are defined in JIS (JIS means
> Japan Industrial Standard.), they are distinguished. So your assumption
> is almost right, full width romaji characters are not in the standard
> ASCII character set.
question (not a technical)...
when do the japanese people use the full-width romaji characters?

thanks,
gabor