[Uim] Re: What should be done until 0.4.6

Jan Willem Stumpel jstumpel at planet.nl
Sat Dec 18 20:59:24 EET 2004

uim is a great system, but I have a wishlist for 0.4.6:

-- there should be user-level documentation, explaining clearly
   how to install and use the system.
-- uim-xim should work in all UTF-8 locales, not only in
   ja_JP.UTF-8.
-- in 直接入力 mode, for entering characters with dead keys,
   AltGr, and Compose, the whole UTF-8 compose table should be
   supported (not only the Latin-1 characters).
-- the systray widget should always show the state of the input
   system. At the moment it does not always do this (e.g. with
   Russian: Russian-on and Russian-off look exactly the same).
-- it should be possible to disable "shift-space". Users often hit
   these keys by mistake. It may be better if you can switch input
   methods only by clicking on the widget.

Then we could just use uim, with all its advantages, without
having to use scim. I do not know (not being a programmer) if this
is possible.

Regards, Jan (www.jw-stumpel.nl/input)