[Uim] TODO list until 0.4.6

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Thu Jan 13 10:12:37 EET 2005

At Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:21:31 +0900,
tkng at xem.jp wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:18:59 +0900
> TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki <tkng at xem.jp> wrote:
>
> > What should be done until 0.4.6 release? Here's my TODO list.

> I've implemented some items on the list. Now the number of left items are two,
>
>  - Lazy loading of input method
>  - Extend uim-custom-choice to allow non-symbol choice item. (Yamaken,
>    is it possible?)

I have some items should be added to this list. I'll post it as
separate message.

> Why I want to extend uim-custom-choice is mainly for handling of
> candidate-window-position. This variable is used from GTK+ immodule and
> Qt immodule to control a position of candidate window. This Variable
> should be choice item, because it takes one from three values. i.e.
> "caret", "left" and "right". Since type of these variable is string, now
> I need extension of uim-custom-choice.

Sorry, I had removed the custom variable in r248 since it seems
to be unused. I'll restore the variable and check all
subdirectories when I remove a variable in future.

I think that we should change the variable type 'string' to
'choice (of symbols)' rather than extending the custom type
'choice'. Although extending the custom type 'choice' for string
type may useful for some situation, the case is not. There are
some reasons:

- Only symbolic value is required by the codes

- It should be appeared as same look and feel as other ordinary
  choices (i.e. string-choice may confuse users)

- Selectable items should be apperared as human-readable labels
  such as "Beginning of preedit" in uim-pref rather than magic
  word "left" or "caret". string-choice will not has such label
  string since string itself should be appeared as selectable
  item for users

So I suggest that changing the custom type of
candidate-window-position to ordinary choice. And I'll extend
uim_symbol_value_str() as it can return both string and symbol,
as temporary solution. No code modifications of bridges are
required.

I'll implement so if you didn't disapprove it. Stop me
immediately if you have other requirements.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp