[Uim] TODO list until 0.4.6

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Thu Jan 13 12:15:46 EET 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:12:37 +0900
YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:

> At Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:21:31 +0900,
> tkng at xem.jp wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:18:59 +0900
> > TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki <tkng at xem.jp> wrote:
> >
> > > What should be done until 0.4.6 release? Here's my TODO list.
>
> > I've implemented some items on the list. Now the number of left
> > items are two,
> >
> >  - Lazy loading of input method
> >  - Extend uim-custom-choice to allow non-symbol choice item.
> >  (Yamaken,
> >    is it possible?)
>
> I have some items should be added to this list. I'll post it as
> separate message.
>
> > Why I want to extend uim-custom-choice is mainly for handling of
> > candidate-window-position. This variable is used from GTK+ immodule
> > and Qt immodule to control a position of candidate window. This
> > Variable should be choice item, because it takes one from three
> > values. i.e. "caret", "left" and "right". Since type of these
> > variable is string, now I need extension of uim-custom-choice.
>
> Sorry, I had removed the custom variable in r248 since it seems
> to be unused. I'll restore the variable and check all
> subdirectories when I remove a variable in future.
>
> I think that we should change the variable type 'string' to
> 'choice (of symbols)' rather than extending the custom type
> 'choice'. Although extending the custom type 'choice' for string
> type may useful for some situation, the case is not. There are
> some reasons:
>
> - Only symbolic value is required by the codes

I agree with you at this point. It was my misdesign that
candidate-window-position is a string, not a symbol.

> - It should be appeared as same look and feel as other ordinary
>   choices (i.e. string-choice may confuse users)
>
> - Selectable items should be apperared as human-readable labels
>   such as "Beginning of preedit" in uim-pref rather than magic
>   word "left" or "caret". string-choice will not has such label
>   string since string itself should be appeared as selectable
>   item for users

I assumed following code. This has human-readable labels so it has same
looks as other ordinaly cohices. Why string itself should be appeared as
selectable item?

(define-custom 'candidate-window-position-choice "caret"
  '(global)
  (list 'choice
        (list "caret" "At caret (cursor) position" "description")
        (list "left" "At left end of preedit" "description")
        (list "right" "At right end of preedit" "description"))
   (_ "Candidate window position")
   (_ "long description will be here."))

> So I suggest that changing the custom type of
> candidate-window-position to ordinary choice. And I'll extend
> uim_symbol_value_str() as it can return both string and symbol,
> as temporary solution. No code modifications of bridges are
> required.

If there's no need to modify bridge code, I'm OK. That is the most
important thing.

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki