[Uim] Development reformation: Project priorities

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Mon Nov 21 16:52:57 EET 2005

Hi all, here is second message for the development reformation.

I want to direct uim development based on the priority lists
below, if no considerable discussion arose. Please let me know
your opinions about it.

  technical aspect:
    1. establish flexible development platform as IM toolkit
    2. develop enthusiastic (or 'maniac') IMs based on the toolkit
    3. develop important features of ordinary IMs
    4. elaborate user-oriented useful IM environment for UNIX desktop
    5. likewise for other platforms (terminal, Emacs, Mac OS X etc)
    6. explore useful IM environment for embedded platforms (PDAs, phones etc)

  social aspect:
    1. YamaKen's belief
    2. developer's own motivations, plans and sense
    3. active participant's suggestions, demands and so on
    4. community relationships and duty we think of
    5. reactions to "uim should be..." based on common sense
    6. reactions to "uim should be..." based on outsider's own sense

  methodical aspect:
    1. responsibility separation
    2. responsibility unification
    3. well-considered naming
    4. well-finished portion production
    5. efficiency consideration
   10. rapid development

The lists will not so strictly be applied and we probably work
on lower things frequently. But once profit or policy of a thing
listed in above conflicted with another, higher one takes
precedence even if the other side is unsatisfied.

It maybe sounds arrogant. But if we compromise them, it does
produce useless product for any purpose. I know the law (and
probably others too) from the bitter experience on this my first
open development. As a fact, my past compromises had been made
both conflicted person and I unsatisfied. So I define such lists
to keep development power concentrated on primary values of uim
I think of. The priorities are ordered to reach a valuable uim
via shortest path, I believe.

Some terms such as "IM toolkit" are not yet explained
enough. Please wait for the subsequent message later (about
future direction and technical considerations).

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp