[Uim] Improvement of documentation

Martin Swift martin at swift.is
Tue Nov 14 11:44:00 EET 2006

Dear UIM community,

First off, I'd like to extend my gratitude to the developers. I first
installed UIM about half a year ago and stumbling through the
documentation at uim.freedesktop.org managed to break through to
understand what the function of the various tools were and how they
fit together.

Having only a firm grasp of European languages (all of which use the
latin character set or close derivatives thereof) I haven't used UIM
all that much -- it was more an excercise in i18n and making it easier
for a Japanese friend of mine to use my compuer.

Early next year, I'll be going over to Japan and will be using the
input manager a great deal. I'll be spending some time getting UIM to
work the way I want, but so far I've found the documentation a little
limited. Specifically I feel it does not introduce the tools
particularly well to the novice user.

I would be very glad to help adding to the documentation, but the
freedesktop MoinMoin is closed to contributions and I can't find
anything about the Wikia wiki I read about in the archives. How should
one go about offering contributions to the docs?

If the Wikia is taking a some time to get organized, how about just
setting the handbook up at Wikibooks?

Sincerely,
Martin Swift

--