[Uim] Improvement of documentation

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Thu Nov 16 17:48:48 EET 2006

Hi Martin,

At Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:44:00 +0000,
martin at swift.is wrote:

> First off, I'd like to extend my gratitude to the developers. I first
> installed UIM about half a year ago and stumbling through the
> documentation at uim.freedesktop.org managed to break through to
> understand what the function of the various tools were and how they
> fit together.
>
> Having only a firm grasp of European languages (all of which use the
> latin character set or close derivatives thereof) I haven't used UIM
> all that much -- it was more an excercise in i18n and making it easier
> for a Japanese friend of mine to use my compuer.
>
> Early next year, I'll be going over to Japan and will be using the
> input manager a great deal. I'll be spending some time getting UIM to
> work the way I want, but so far I've found the documentation a little
> limited. Specifically I feel it does not introduce the tools
> particularly well to the novice user.
>
> I would be very glad to help adding to the documentation, but the
> freedesktop MoinMoin is closed to contributions and I can't find
> anything about the Wikia wiki I read about in the archives. How should
> one go about offering contributions to the docs?

Thank you for the offer. Yes, our user documents are inadequate
and often obsolete. We're happy to improve the documents in
cooperation with you.

On current MoinMoin wiki, you can create an account to edit the
wiki. Feel free to edit these pages.

http://uim.freedesktop.org/wiki/UserPreferences

> If the Wikia is taking a some time to get organized, how about just
> setting the handbook up at Wikibooks?

The request to Wikia had been declined because of less
popularity of the topic (uim).

Instead of it, I've just requested a wiki space to elwiki.com,
an ad-based wiki farm. It will offer a dedicated wiki as
uim.elwiki.com once it has been approved. Although the site is
running with strong as-is basis, at least automatic backup dump
is provided by dumps.wikimedia.org. It seems enough for our
testdrive of MediaWiki-based wiki.

These three existing wikis should finally be merged into the new
wiki. But it can be migrated page by page on demand slowly
(i.e. You aren't needed to take care of other than user
documents). On this user document improvemnt, how do you want to
revise it?  Complementing lacking topics? Or else completely
rewrites entire contents? Feel free to select the best way you
are believing.

Official English wiki
http://uim.freedesktop.org/wiki/TitleIndex

Basically obsolete English wiki