[Uim] Improvement of documentation

Martin Swift martin at swift.is
Sun Nov 19 14:03:55 EET 2006

Hi YamaKen,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for not replying earlier. I had wanted
to look into whether we could put it up on Wikibooks (just because it
has no adverts -- a result of my puritan streak :-) ). The uim.elwiki
looks fine.

One question, though: Should we consider another license? I'm just
wondering if the GFDL is unecessary. Frankly, I don't think the
attribution requirements are necessary (I don't see anyone stealing
the docs and passing them off as their own).

I'm not saying that the GFDL is a bad license or that it will be a
great hindrance to the documentation. My argument is that since we
don't need it the license requirements (citation of any bit that is
moved, a copy of the license accompanying any part of the
documentation, the inability to relicense, ...) are an unecessary
annoyance.

I didn't have a chance to look at other licenses, as I wanted to bring
this up before any large scale copying of content took place. I'll try
to have a look at some licenses today (Sunday, GMT) and give some
suggestions if the rest of you guys are open to this. I think that
even putting the doc simply in the public domain or double-license it
with some CC or the GFDL might be the way to go.

Please let me know your oppinions on this.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 12:48:48AM +0900, YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen wrote:
> On this user document improvemnt, how do you want to
> revise it?  Complementing lacking topics? Or else completely
> rewrites entire contents? Feel free to select the best way you
> are believing.

I'm wanting to completely rewrite them. I'll put an outline up soon.

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 05:35:45AM +0900, YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen wrote:
> I want to reorganize current uim.freedesktop.org pages as
> follows.

Why not move the entire site to the wiki? If we need to seperate the
documentation from other software related information (technical
details, contacts, etc.) we could put these in a different namespace
(namespaces are designated by a string prefixed to the page name,
seperated with a colon; e.g. "Help:Installation"). The elwiki staff
might allow us to create our own namespace, such as "Docs", "Handbook"
or "Manual".

Cheers,
Martin

--