Compositor/Window Manager for Multitouch

Josh Leverette coder543 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 14:39:01 PDT 2011

Will everything in GNOME be forwards compatible with Wayland *without* using
an X session within Wayland? I didn't think that was going to happen.
Therefore we should start over with a clean base that's useful both to those
with and without multitouch, and then figure out how to get all the gnome
and kde apps to run.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Kai Mast <kai.mast at freakybytes.org> wrote:

> On 28.06.2011 16:53, Kai Wohlfahrt wrote:
>
>> I hadn't actually seen uTouch before, looks interesting. However I think
>> the difference is that (for now) it seems to be an adaption to use some
>> multitouch features on a standard gnome/unity/whatever desktop.
>>
>> What I'm thinking about is a different UI designed around multitouch,
>> something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?**v=zWz1KbknIZk&t=4m42s<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWz1KbknIZk&t=4m42s><
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?**v=zWz1KbknIZk&t=4m42s<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWz1KbknIZk&t=4m42s>>
>> perhaps (I don't like their approach, but you get the idea...). Features
>> from http://www.youtube.com/watch?**v=6jhoWsHwU7w<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jhoWsHwU7w>might be interesting as well.
>>

>> At the moment, I think it may be more worthwhile to write something new
>> for Wayland, and avoid dealing with the headaches of placing this on top of
>> something that wasn't designed with this type of interaction in mind. If you
>> think this a compiz plugin would be a workable solution, I'll have another
>> look at that approach, it'd probably be easier to implement.
>>
>> Any news on my original questions? And another one: are the most up to
>> date docs available on wayland the ones found in the git repository?
>>
>> Kai
>>

> I see, but the goal should really be to make one of the default desktops
> more touch friendly, don't you think?
>
> Still a little sluggish but Ubuntu already workds on Tablets:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?**v=5nHbRspykIQ&feature=player_**embedded<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nHbRspykIQ&feature=player_embedded>

Sincerely,
    Josh