seprate window management component

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Wed Sep 14 08:19:57 PDT 2011

Hello,

On 14 September 2011 16:55, cat <zixon65 at gmail.com> wrote:
> would it be to much trouble to make window management a proxy program?

The wayland server has to know how the windows stack but the clients
are not trusted to tell it how the windows should stack so either the
server has to figure that out by itself or a separate privileged
component (eg. a proxy or a plugin or attached process of some sort)
would need to decide that.

I thought that it would make sense to determine what policy needs to
be decided by this manager and add protocol for it in Wayland even if
the default implementation will just grant every request an
application ever makes.

When I asked about that it was not outright rejected but there was
nobody else who though putting some structure into Wayland would be of
any use.

I guess this will be considered only after Wayland evolves so many
warts as X has and putting some sanity in the protocol will be
impossible at that point for reasons of backward compatibility and
whatnot.

Thanks

Michal