GTK Ubuntu Precise packaging success

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Tue May 8 07:42:25 PDT 2012

On 05/08, Alex Wu wrote:
>    Hi darxus,
>    I installed your PPA on my ubuntu 12.04 desktop and followed your
>    directions on [1]https://launchpad.net/~darxus/+archive/wayland-gtk to run
>    the gtk apps you listed both on native weston and weston as X11 client. I
>    would like to share some information of my trying.

Thanks.

>    1.  gtk apps will crash due to invoke gdk_x11_* functions in
>    libcanberra-gtk3-module which is a sound event wrapper lib for gtk3. so I
>    removed this package.

Please open a bug for this by running "ubuntu-bug libcanberra-gtk3-module",
similar to these, tagged "wayland":

https://launchpad.net/bugs/984914
https://launchpad.net/bugs/994091

I haven't seen this, which application or applications produced it?

>    2. Should setuid for weston like this:
>         sudo chown root /usr/bin/weston
>         sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/weston

For running outside of X, yes, I should add that.

>    3. Each time launched weston, should make the sockect accessible for
>    clients:
>        sudo chmod ugo+rw /tmp/wayland*
>        I noticed that 2 and 3 has been mentioned in this thread, but adding
>    them into your directions may make thing easier.

When running with weston SUID root, yeah, that's a good idea too.

From: http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/works/
'To get gnome-terminal to work outside of windows, you probably want to
launch weston as "dbus-launch ~/install/bin/weston", and run gnome-terminal
as "gnome-terminal --disable-factory".'

I suspect running weston through dbus-launch has a similar effect, but I
bet running weston SUID root breaks it.

>    5. brasero can not run, and no useful log printed.

What exactly did you see?  Did it run, without crashing, but not display
any output?  I've seen that sometimes, other times it works.  Occasionally
it doesn't display until... I'm not sure what happens.

--
"Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all."
- Helen Keller