GTK Ubuntu Precise packaging success

Alex Wu zhiwen.wu at linux.intel.com
Wed May 9 01:06:39 PDT 2012

? 2012/5/8 22:42, darxus at chaosreigns.com ??:
> On 05/08, Alex Wu wrote:
>>     Hi darxus,
>>     I installed your PPA on my ubuntu 12.04 desktop and followed your
>>     directions on [1]https://launchpad.net/~darxus/+archive/wayland-gtk to run
>>     the gtk apps you listed both on native weston and weston as X11 client. I
>>     would like to share some information of my trying.
> Thanks.
>
>>     1.  gtk apps will crash due to invoke gdk_x11_* functions in
>>     libcanberra-gtk3-module which is a sound event wrapper lib for gtk3. so I
>>     removed this package.
> Please open a bug for this by running "ubuntu-bug libcanberra-gtk3-module",
> similar to these, tagged "wayland":

I tryed to fire a bug by "ubuntu-bug libcanberra-gtk3-module ", but got
"Network problem". So I open a
bug(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/+bug/996904) for
apport first. I also reported the libcanberra bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libcanberra/+bug/996917)
directly through the webpage.

> https://launchpad.net/bugs/984914
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/994091
>
> I haven't seen this, which application or applications produced it?

This bug is only produced on weston as X11 client mode, all applications
on your list crash. I guess that in the unity env, there is a daemon
which use libcanberra to provide sound theme for apps. While in the
weston desktop, no sound deamon launched and hence no crash. Anyway,
libcanberra-gtk3-module has direct dependency on gdk_x11_**, that should
be removed.

>>     2. Should setuid for weston like this:
>>          sudo chown root /usr/bin/weston
>>          sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/weston
> For running outside of X, yes, I should add that.
>
>>     3. Each time launched weston, should make the sockect accessible for
>>     clients:
>>         sudo chmod ugo+rw /tmp/wayland*
>>         I noticed that 2 and 3 has been mentioned in this thread, but adding
>>     them into your directions may make thing easier.
> When running with weston SUID root, yeah, that's a good idea too.
>
>>     4. For gnome-terminal, gedit and rhythmbox,  should launch a session bus
>>     and export the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS. When run app under unity,
>>     DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is already their.  when  run app in fullscreen
>>     weston (launched in VT), should export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS manually.
> From: http://www.chaosreigns.com/wayland/works/
> 'To get gnome-terminal to work outside of windows, you probably want to
> launch weston as "dbus-launch ~/install/bin/weston", and run gnome-terminal
> as "gnome-terminal --disable-factory".'
>
> I suspect running weston through dbus-launch has a similar effect, but I

Yes, If the terminal running the app can inherit the
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS env from weston, for example, clicking the
terminal icon on the weston panel will launch a weson-terminal which
inherits the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS env from weston. But if the
wesont-terminal is launched from a remote terminal, for example, I used
to launch app from a putty terminal, that breaks it.

> bet running weston SUID root breaks it.

Do you mean  doing "sudo chown root /usr/bin/weston" and "sudo chmod +s
/usr/bin/weston" will break it? According to my testing, the answer is
"No".
My steps are:
Open VT
sudo chown root /usr/bin/weston
sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/weston
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/tmp
export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0
dbus-launch /usr/bin/weston
clicked terminal icon on the weston panel to launch weston-terminal

#In the weston-terminal
export GDK_BACKEND=wayland
sudo chmod ugo+rw /tmp/wayland*
gnome-terminal & # that works fine

>>     5. brasero can not run, and no useful log printed.
> What exactly did you see?  Did it run, without crashing, but not display
> any output?  I've seen that sometimes, other times it works.  Occasionally
> it doesn't display until... I'm not sure what happens.

I opened the wayland debug and found that brasero already launched
normally ,but not display any output. The input event are normal.

I found another issue that in the native weston mode,  rhythmbox will
crash in libmmkeys.so which invokes libX11.so. But in the weston as X11
client mode, it works fine. It seems that  rhythmbox will request dbus
service  from gnome-settings-daemon, if the service not privided,
rhythmbox will invoke X11 api and crash. Where should I report this bug?
rhythmbox community or ubuntu?