Input and games.

Jonas Kulla nyocurio at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 14:29:55 PDT 2013

2013/4/18 Todd Showalter <todd at electronjump.com>

>     I'm a game developer, and we're hoping to have our games working
> properly with Wayland.  Input is a particular point of interest for
> me. The traditional desktop input model is what tends to drive input
> interfaces, but games have somewhat unique requirements that at times
> mesh badly with the standard desktop model.
>
>     Is there a roadmap for input support I can look over?  Is there
> anything I can do to help make Wayland game-friendly?
>
>                                             Todd.
>
> --
>  Todd Showalter, President,
>  Electron Jump Games, Inc.

Hi Todd!

What exactly do you mean by "unique requirements", can you be a little
bit more specific? In general I think the current consensus (correct me if
I'm wrong) is that using the default wayland pointer and keyboard events
plus Joypad support via SDL is sufficient for most purposes.

Personally, I'd be interested in seeing joypads become first class input
devices on wayland (as a capability of wl_seat alongside mice/keyboard
etc.),
seeing that there are already evdev drivers existing for most gamepads.
But I'm unfortunately lacking experience and knowledge in that field,
otherwise I'd give it a hacking attempt myself.

So yeah, for now I think SDL should serve you perfectly well =)

Jonas