Thoughts about decoration information in the xdg_shell

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Nov 17 23:20:37 PST 2013

On Sunday 17 November 2013 22:54:47 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Applications that do not negotiate must figure out the proper decoration on
> their own. It's not the compositor's job to enforce the style. If the
> application then looks out of place, it's the application's fault, not the
> compositor's.
I'm afraid that exactly that will happen then and I think it's the shell's
responsibility to enforce the style. For things like Plasma Active or other
tiling setups we need to have the client without decorations. Our users will
not consider it as an application bug, it's a bug in our system. I might be
overly skeptical here, but my experience unfortunately is, that apps and
toolkits (exception Qt) do not try to integrate with the environment.

Cheers
Martin