Prerequisites to build wayland / weston without x?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 23:41:55 PST 2014

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 14:06:11 +1100
scsijon <scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au> wrote:

> I have just spent an hour or so trying to find it, and although your
> documentation etc is good, this doesn't seem to be in it, or give me a
> hint where to find it!
>
> What I am after is a list of prerequisites to build wayland / weston
> from scratch with the following basepoint, I don't want to build X first.
>
> Consider that I have linux installed as a minimal installation, no X,
> root only (no multiuser), etc.

> OK, what else do I need to have built first?
>
> Where can I find what minimum (and maximum) versions are required for
> all the prerequisite packages to build with?
> And yes, I can set things in the kernel build stage, and that does seem
> to be well documented.
>
> And if one of your dev's is not already doing it (and willing to help
> with silly questions) and not just overloaded as most usually are, I'll
> see if I can add wayland/weston to T2 and Puppy's T2.

Hi,

I have no clue about any package sets, but here are some hints:

- Configure Mesa obviously without any X11 things, but also without
  support for (desktop) OpenGL, as that will pull in X11 stuff. Do
  enable OpenGL ES 2 though.

- Configure Cairo without any X11/xlib/etc. support, basically the only
  drawing backend you need is 'image'.

- Configure Weston without xwayland support, and without x11 backend:
  --disable-x11-compositor --disable-xwayland

The idea is to hunt down X11 dependencies and disable them in the
package/project that uses them.

For the record, the following are not X11 things per se, and are
needed: xkbcommon, xkeyboard-config.

That's all off the top of my head, there's probably more.

I think Arch had a wiki page about X11-less Wayland-based system
build...