Leftover 1.8 release warnings

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed May 27 00:05:20 PDT 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015 22:23:32 -0700
Bryce Harrington <bryce at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> None of the following stuff looks important enough to block the release,
> but looks a little untidy.  Would be nice to have this cleaned up for
> 1.9.

> == Weston ==
>
> Pretty clean actually.
>
> * Raspberry Pi stubs warning:
>
>   Info: running "make distcheck" to create tarballs:
>   configure: WARNING: Raspberry Pi BCM host libraries not found, will use
>   stubs instead.
>
>   Is this warning all that useful?  Most non-Raspberry Pi owners won't
>   need to have this, and Raspberry Pi owners will probably notice in
>   other ways if the host libraries are missing?

True. Well, because we never fail a build for missing host libraries,
you'd have to actually try to run Weston on RPi just to see that it
doesn't work. And then you probably don't have a good clue on what went
wrong.

I suppose we could change this automatic detection of host libraries
into a strict enable/disable switch. The default would be disable,
which causes the rpi-backend/renderer to be built with the stubs. It
would also please distributions, because they want hard-failing
enable-switches, not autodetection.

It is somewhat overlapping and confusing with the existing
--enable-rpi-compositor. The thing is, we want everyone to build the
rpi-backend/renderer, that is why the stubs are there in the first
place, to catch build errors if someone changes weston-internal APIs.
Without the host libs, the built rpi-backend and renderer will not be
installed, so it is only a build check.

But, weston built with rpi stubs cannot work on a real rpi using the
rpi-backend. So people who really want to run on rpi need the host
libraries. Having one more --enable-rpi-compositor-for-real seems
stupid.

Maybe we should just always compile the rpi-backend/renderer regardless
of --enable-rpi-compositor, and use --enable-rpi-compositor to choose
between stubs and the real host libs?

In any case, this is a harmless warning if one is not intending to run
on a real rpi.

Also, I suppose we should make sure the stubs fail hard and complain
clearly that you are trying to run stubs on a real rpi.

> * libtool finish warning:
>
>   libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish
>   /home/bryce/src/Wayland/weston/weston-1.7.93/_inst/lib/weston'
>   -rw-rw-r-- 1 bryce bryce 1317272 May 26 20:17 weston-1.7.93.tar.xz
>
>   I think this one is entirely unnecessary, but could be misleading if
>   you're trying to debug some random library-related issue.  Could this
>   be suppressed somehow?

I don't understand libtool. I'm just happy if stuff works in practice.

> Again, none of the above are important to the release, to my knowledge.
> Just mentioning out of an OCDish interest in tidiness.

Good points.