Separating X clients under Wayland

Ole Kliemann ole-wayland-devel-2015 at mail.plastictree.net
Sat Oct 10 03:59:49 PDT 2015

Sometime ago a question was posted on this list whether X clients
under XWayland are separated from each other like Wayland clients
are. It was concluded that they are not. [1]

However, it was suggested that of course one could start a
separate X server for each client to achieve separation. [2]

My question now is: Can XWayland be configured or modified to
behave this way?

I was trying Xephyr to separate X clients under X once; I believe
Red Hat has a sandboxing utility that works similar. But
something like this is usually tedious to setup and clunky to
use.

Thus it would be very useful if Wayland simply would handle
starting separate X servers for each client.

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-January/012705.html
[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-January/012777.html