Separating X clients under Wayland

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 00:15:20 PDT 2015

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 12:59:49 +0200
Ole Kliemann <ole-wayland-devel-2015 at mail.plastictree.net> wrote:

> Sometime ago a question was posted on this list whether X clients
> under XWayland are separated from each other like Wayland clients
> are. It was concluded that they are not. [1]
>
> However, it was suggested that of course one could start a
> separate X server for each client to achieve separation. [2]
>
> My question now is: Can XWayland be configured or modified to
> behave this way?

Hi,

I don't think you will need anything extra in Xwayland to support this.

What you do need though is the Wayland compositor to support it. The
compositor needs to know to launch more Xwayland servers, and the XWM
(proxying X11 window manager) embedded in the compositor needs to be
able to deal with it too.

So, this question is specific to the compositor you choose to run. I
suspect no current compositor implementation supports this by
configuration alone, you'd need to actually implement the feature first.