[RFC wayland 1/9] wayland-egl: import libwayland-egl.so frontend library from Mesa

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 13:18:42 UTC 2017

Hi Duncan,

On 17 September 2017 at 09:04, Duncan Roe <duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:29:19AM +0100, Emil Velikov wrote:
>> From: Emil Velikov <emil.velikov at collabora.com>
>>
>> Takanari, Duncan,
>> AFAICT the Renesas devices that you're using have an ImgTec IP inside
>> them. Please check with Renesas and/or ImgTec, as one can build their
>> driver as a Mesa component.
>>
>> As such you should be able to utilise the EGL/Wayland, EGL/Android and
>> other features without having to write/maintain wrapper shims.
>
> Hi Emil,
>
> The only reason I'm involved is that I package wayland-egl for SBo.
>
> SlackBuilds.org (SBo) provide additional packages ready to install on a system
> running the Slackware Linux distribution.
>
> I first packaged wayland-egl when it showed up as a dependency of VLC built with
> all optional dependencies (and optional dependencies of dependencies ...). As
> such, I have no idea when or even if wayland-egl gets used or how I would set
> about testing whether a new release has an adverse effect on VLC.

Right, I've saw that and was worried how you tested the codepaths.
AFAICT there's no backend driver or Mesa in SBo.
That's orthogonal topic, so let's not go there.

> Your email contains the checked-in Mesa code as of rev 17.1.9 / 17.2.0.

The commit mentions the exact commit SHA1, so Mesa versions do not
anything extra ;-)

> If I update my wayland-egl branch to this code and make a new Slackbuild, is
> that likely to break anything?

Not much more than it already is ;-)

> I've made the updates locally, and see that it still builds
> libwayland-egl.so.1.0.0. Shouldn't there be a version bump?

There is no difference in the sources or binary. Thus a version bump
is a very bad idea.

There's an open question (+ lots of data) on the version as listed in
the .pc file. See patch 2/9 [1]

> From checking header files it does seem to me that the layout of struct
> wl_egl_window is indeed opaque to the outside world, but all the same wouldn't
> it be better to be able to see what version of the library one had installed?

Why? Can you please elaborate.

Thanks
Emil

[1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2017-September/035021.html