Weston: output scaling does not seem to have any effect

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:57:17 UTC 2018

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 16:07:22 +0100
Peter BaĊĦista <pbasista at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Weston does not seem to perform any output scaling unless an explicit and
> correct output name is given.

Hi,

yes, that is correct. A correct output name must be given.

> At least in my case, it was *not* sufficient
> to add the following section to weston.ini:
>
> [output]
> scale=2
>
> With such a configuration, weston-launch would launch Weston normally, but
> there would be no scaling. The manual page does not explain what could be
> causing such a behavior.
>
> It only started to work for me when I manually looked up the correct name
> for my output from the output of "weston --debug" and added it to the
> configuration section:
>
> [output]
> name=DP-1
> scale=2
>
> I do not understand the details of how it is supposed to work properly. The
> current error messages (wayland 1.16.0, weston 5.0.90) were not very
> helpful to me. A better explanation should, in my opinion, be added to the
> man page.

You are right. The manual for output section is out-dated and even
somewhat self-contradicting.

What error messages did you get? Or do you meant that you didn't get
any?

I don't think printing messages about unused sections in weston.ini
would be good, because different backends use different sections and
have different named outputs. But, Weston could be more verbose about
what it actually uses from weston.ini.

A weston.ini can have multiple output sections, and which one applies
to which output is determined by the name key.