Weston: output scaling does not seem to have any effect

Peter Bašista pbasista at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 09:00:00 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 10:57:17AM +0200, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> What error messages did you get? Or do you meant that you didn't get
> any?
I need to correct myself. I did not get any messages related to scaling
not being applied from the ordinary runs (i.e. without extra arguments)
of either of the following commands:

1. weston
2. weston --debug
3. weston-launch
4. weston-launch -v

When I tried to run "weston --scale=2", the following error message
appeared:

fatal: unhandled option: --scale=2

which prompted me to investigate further. I have tried to specify the
correct output name mostly because it appeared in the same log.
I did not consider it important for scaling to work,
so I probably would not try to find its correct value manually.

> I don't think printing messages about unused sections in weston.ini
> would be good, because different backends use different sections and
> have different named outputs. But, Weston could be more verbose about
> what it actually uses from weston.ini.

I agree. There could be a message saying which sections
are looked up during the startup. Then there could be a message
saying which settings are actually in use for each section,
taking defaults and command line argument overrides into account.

For example:

looking up configuration section for output DP-1: not found

DP-1 output settings:
scale=1

I think that this may be a "solved problem" already
and that there may be approaches which take care of logging
in a way that helps the user to diagnose and debug issues.

Regards
Peter Bašista