unique id for wayland objects

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed May 2 08:59:39 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2 May 2018 16:33:43 +0800
zou lan <nancy.lan.zou at gmail.com> wrote:

> Add to wayland mail list.
>
> Hi pekka
>
> I used to consider the time line and presentation protocol. But they are
> all focus on surface, not buffer. The test want to know the buffer latency,
> although they are the same as surface's on
> most cases. Applications think maybe some buffers doesn't display and used
> again.
>
> By the way, could add a event to wl_buffer's protocol achieve the
> requirement? Thank you.

Hi Nancy,

when a client creates a wp_presentation_feedback object, that object
tracks the particular wl_surface.commit carrying an attached wl_buffer.
So it is specific to the particular commit, not just to the surface
or even to the buffer (buffers get re-used or could theoretically be
used on multiple surfaces).

Can you not have the client record both the current time at sending
wl_surface.commit and the corresponding timestamp it gets from
wp_presentation_feedback? Why would this not be enough?

Please, see clients/presentation-shm.c in the Weston repository for an
example that tracks this kind of presentation latencies.